Landmarks

< previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 more >

Lamb's Players Theatre

In 1917, John D. Spreckels built the Silver Strand Theatre in Coronado which suffered dereliction in modern times. Headed by Michael Axelrod, a capital campaign for Lamb's Players raised the $2.5 million needed to create a home venue for the drama group. The theater expanded from 170 to 340 seats and boasts a year-round season for the popular Lamb's Players.

LEGOLAND

San Diego County is home to the only LEGOLAND in the USA. This amusement park, based around the ubiquitous building blocks, caters to the younger and pre-teen set although older children also find much to like. The park is located in north San Diego County in Carlsbad near the ocean so its weather is usually cool and pleasant.

Leucadia State Beach

Swimming, surfing, fishing and picnicking are popular at this small, rocky beach. The beach access is via an improved trail at the foot of Leucadia Boulevard.

Little Cakes Cupcake Kitchen

The owners and baker of this small shop on Main Street managed to win the Food Network’s popular “Cupcake Wars” twice, making the bakery an attraction for fans of the show. Classic cupcake flavors -- such as chocolate, vanilla and red velvet -- are always available daily, and the rest of the menu features special rotating flavors, which can range from “Mayan Macaroon” to “Pancakes & Bacon,” and the popular “Drunken Pumpkin.”

Long-Waterman Mansion

The Long-Waterman mansion is a model of Queen Anne Victorian architectural style. It was built in 1989 for John S. Long. The second, and most famous, owner was Robert Whitney Waterman, 17th governor of California. Gov. Waterman was well-liked and was nicknamed "Old Honesty." Years before moving to our state Waterman helped establish the Republican Party and nominated Abraham Lincoln as the Republican candidate to the Presidency. The Long-Waterman house is now a private residence owned by John and Allegra Ernst.

Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve and Ranch House

Translated the word "penasquitos" means "little cliffs" in reference to the rugged palisades that rim the long valley. Originally built as a modest adobe in 1824 and then incorporated into a rancho in 1862 by U.S. Army Capt. George Alonzo Johnson, the ranch house was acquired in 1974 by San Diego County as a focal point to develop Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve. Its history includes ownership in 1921 by two of San Diego's best known cattlemen, George Sawday of Witch Creek near Ramona and Oliver Sexon, a county under-sheriff.

Marine Corps Air Station Miramar

Once the home of the legendary Fighter Weapons School popularized by the movie "Top Gun," Marine Crops Air Station now houses the Marine Corps flight school and is home to the Marine "Flying Leathernecks" and 100 F/A-18 Hornets. Several proponents made a push in recent years to move the San Diego International Airport to Miramar and to block the coming of the Marine Corps helicopters, but these proponents did not win over the federal government. Once the home of NASA's missile tests, Miramar sits on land that is worth more than $96 million, much of it ecologically sensitive.

Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

Originally part of the Catholic mission, the Mormon Battalion used the land now known as Camp Pendleton as a stop-over at the end of their journey to liberate California from Mexico. Camp Joseph H. Pendleton was established in 1942 on 126,000 acres which the government acquired for $4.2 million. Then $20 million in upgrades were completed during the Korean War, and the value now sits at more than $1 billion. Camp Pendleton is the largest Marine Corps amphibious training facility in the nation.

Mission Bay Park

Mission Bay, located just north of downtown San Diego, is a large aquatic park that offers all types of water sports, picnicking, kite flying and many other recreational opportunities. Originally a vast tidal marsh that often was confused by mariners with the larger bay of San Diego, the marsh was dredged and drained into its current configuration after World War II.

Mission San Diego de Alcala

The Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala was the first church established in California. Founded in 1769, the mission was the first of the Spanish missions built by Father Junipero Serra. Originally sited on the hill above the harbor that is now the Serra Museum, the mission was moved six miles up the valley about five year later. The move was to find better water and better land for crops. The new site was on the San Diego River and was close to the Indian villages.

< previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 more >