The Fox Theatre opened in San Diego at the heyday of the silver screen era in 1929 with a huge contingent of stars arriving in their limousines to celebrate the beautiful addition to downtown San Diego. After World War II, the Fox stood silent. The San Diego Symphony acquired what was the Fox Theatre in 1984 at an initial cost of $7.5 million and renovations began performed by the same company that built the original theater. The 2,400-seat hall proved a good fit to the acoustical needs of the symphony. The symphony opened its 1985-86 season at the new hall, located on the corner of A Street and Seventh Avenue. The Symphony Towers was built above the hall and was supposed to provide a constant stream of revenue to the orchestra. A $2.5 million donation from Helen Copley several years ago provided additional funds, but the symphony was still not able to maintain its financial commitments and went silent. This summer a renewed symphony orchestra with a new board of directors resumed Summer Popos concerts at the waterfront.