Coronado lies across the bay from downtown San Diego and forms the centerpiece of its views. The island, really a peninsula, was recognized for its fortunate location by the California Indians who left behind mounds of shells and nuts. The Spaniards named the area for the islands off the coast which they had previously named "Los Coronados" or the "crowned ones" for feast day of four martyred saints.
American whalers used the area for a safe harbor while California was under Spanish rule, building hide huts for shelter. For all of that, it was the jack rabbits who populated Coronado until 1885 when four American developers bought the land and organized the Coronado Beach Company in 1886.
The Coronado business district extends along the island's main street, Orange Avenue. It is a compact group of restaurants, boutiques and services that provide for tourists and residents alike. The village quality of the business center is much of its charm and is fiercely guarded by its residents.
The streetscape is pedestrian friendly with many restored buildings, interesting signs and a variety of commercial enterprises. The Ferry Landing Marketplace is another favorite shopping and dining area.