Rancho Santa Fe is an unincorporated area located in the North County of San Diego. The "ranch" as it is fondly called is a California Historic Landmark and is known for its large lots, rural ambiance and celebrity residents.
The original land grant was made to Lebrado Silva in 1831. Juan Maria Osuna, the alcalde (mayor) of San Diego took possession of the land in 1836. His family gradually sold off the land, owning only about 200 acres in 1906 when the Santa Fe Railway bought the land that made up the "San Dieguito Land Grant" in order to plant eucalyptus trees. The goal was to use the trees as railroad ties. However, the trees proved unacceptable for this use and residential development became the goal. The completion of the Lake Hodges dam in 1917 brought water to the area and construction of the village began in 1922.
Rancho Santa Fe is primarily a residential community with one main shopping avenue.The downtown is the site of offices of financial firms, restaurants, and small stores all centered around the intersection of Linea del Cielo/Paseo Delicias and La Granada/Via de Santa Fe.