Scripps Ranch owes its existence to its resemblance to Algeria. Newspaper magnate E.W. Scripps happened on the area in 1890 and recognized the similarity of its climate and foliage to Algeria--the only place he felt he could be free of the colds that he often suffered. He and his half-sister, Ellen Browning Scripps, bought 400 acres on the mesa and eventually expanded their holdings to 2,100 acres.
To find a movie theater outside this area, check the Source Movie Section.