Lakeside was first promoted as a town site in 1886 when the El Cajon Valley Land Company purchased land and built the Lakeside Inn. The building was designed by the same architect that built the Hotel del Coronado. Located only about a half hour from downtown San Diego, eight trains a day used to bring families for picnics, boating, auto and horse racing. At one time it was the most traveled rail line in San Diego County.
The Inn is no more, but Lindo Lake is still a favorite destination for residents and visitors who feed the ducks, picnic, hike, ride horseback and fish. The lake is the only natural freshwater lake in San Diego County and was originally fed by mountain streams. There are three other lakes in the area and eight parks.