Law School/Year: Arizona State University, 1995
College/Year: University of Washington, 1992
Arizona (inactive), California, U.S.P.T.O.
Civil Litigation; Intellectual Property; Patent, Trademark & Copyright; Technology
* Mformation Technologies, Inc. v. Research In Motion (Northern District of California) - Lead trial counsel for plaintiff in a multi patent infringement matter regarding wireless device management software (active).
* Nextec Applications, Inc. v. Brookwood Companies (Southern District of New York) - Lead trial counsel for plaintiff in a patent infringement matter regarding encapsulation technology (active).
* Quantum Corporation v. Riverbed Technology (Northern District of California) - Lead trial counsel for plaintiff and cross-defendant in multiple patent infringement lawsuits regarding data storage products utilizing de-duplication technology (settled favorably).
* Crossroad Systems v. Overland Storage (Western District of Texas) - Lead trial counsel for defendant in patent infringement lawsuit involving data storage products (settled favorably).
* Kratos Defense and Security Solutions, Inc. and Kratos Government Solutions, Inc. v. Celeris Systems, Inc., et al. (Superior Court for the County of Orange) - Lead trial counsel for plaintiffs in a trade secret, duty of loyalty, and unfair competition matter regarding government contracts related to GPS and telecommunications software (settled).
* InfoVista S.A. and InfoVista Corporation v. Microsoft Corporation (Northern District of California) - Lead trial counsel for plaintiffs in a trademark infringement action regarding Windows® Vista software (settled).
* Bridgepoint Education, Inc. v. Professional Career Development Institute, LLC (Southern District of California) - Lead trial counsel for plaintiff in a trademark infringement action regarding ASHFORD UNIVERSITY® mark (settled).
Thakur's litigation experience includes representation of large technology companies in telecommunications / VOIP, medical devices, software and semiconductors in patent, trademark and commercial disputes. He has appeared before the federal courts throughout California, Arizona, New York, Texas, Virginia and the International Trade Commission.
Thakur has particular experience with wireless and software related technology. He has litigated IP matters against Microsoft and Research in Motion and has represented Mformation Technologies, Samsung, Quantum, and other high-tech companies in litigation.
With substantial experience in technology transactional and licensing matters, including acquisition and protection of intellectual property, Thakur's practice focuses on the development and enforcement of patent portfolios, as well as creating partnerships between IP clients and large private equity firms and other investors who can help to monetize promising IP portfolios. He is considered a pioneer in the development of new alternative fee strategies for patent litigation.
Thakur has been selected for inclusion in the 2010 San Diego Super Lawyers® list and the 2010 list of Top Intellectual Property Litigation Attorneys in The Daily Transcript.
Thakur frequently speaks publicly about legal issues related to intellectual property and technology transactions. He participates on panels on a regular basis for American Corporate Counsel Association events and was a guest lecturer at the Graduate School of Management at the University of California, Irvine. In addition, he has been featured in numerous articles regarding the development of law firm IP practices.
For several years, Thakur was a member of the executive committee of the Board of Directors of the Arthritis Foundation.