Law School: University of California, Hastings College of the Law
College: University of Pennsylvania
• Obtained highly favorable resolution of securities fraud, negligence and misrepresentation claims for investor against former accountant and investment adviser, and investment advisory firm.
• Litigating numerous class actions, defending residential real estate landlords and property owners.
• Obtained highly favorable resolution of LLC dispute in federal court involving international shipment of goods and financial fraud;
• Advised public company in trade secret violation by former executive, and obtained highly favorable resolution in federal court litigation;
• Litigating complex, bet-the-company dissolution action;
• Obtained highly favorable settlement of False Claims Act whistle-blower case resulting in recovery of nearly full measure of damages to U.S. Government, plus attorneys' fee reimbursement to client and share of U.S. government recovery;
• Represented national mortgage company in wage and hour and other employment-based claims by former executive and obtained highly favorable resolution for less than 1 percent of plaintiff's damages demand;
• Obtained highly favorable results in numerous internal LLC and corporate disputes and executive-level employment disputes.
I started my legal career as a military prosecutor with the U.S. Army's Judge Advocate General's Corps, where I held the rank of Captain. As an Army JAG, I tried felony criminal cases at courts-martial and gave legal advice to brigade-level commanders.
I formed The Coopersmith Law Firm nearly six years ago, after practicing business and commercial litigation with some of the most well-respected firms in San Diego. Our practice is primarily focused on corporate and business litigation, including partnership, contract, financial fraud, executive-level employment and securities disputes. We practice in both federal and state court, and we are well-versed in federal procedure.
I hold an AV Peer Review rating from the Martindale Hubbell International Law Directory, and my firm has been listed in the Bar Register of Pre-Eminent Lawyers for 2013 and 2014. I received the 2012 and 2013 Top Attorneys award in the area of Corporate Litigation from The Daily Transcript. In 2014, I was selected for inclusion on the Super Lawyers list in Southern California.
San Diego Rotary Club 33 (member); Association of Business Trial Lawyers (member); San Diego County Bar Association (member); American Bar Association (member).
La Jolla Cove Swim Club (member); United States Masters’ Swimming (member); Catalina Channel Swimming Federation (member).
Born and raised in suburban New York City, I was educated at the University of Pennsylvania and the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. I met my wife, fellow San Diego attorney Tanya Schierling, while we were both serving as Army JAGs at Fort Lewis, Wash. We moved to San Diego in early 2000 and have been practicing law here since that time.
I am an avid ocean swimmer at the La Jolla Cove and a road cyclist. My wife and I enjoy world travel, good literature, and great food and wine. I play piano, tenor and alto sax and clarinet, and love a variety of music, including jazz and blues.