Law School: University of California Hastings College of the Law College: University of California Irvine, B.A. social ecology, with honors
• Represented a claimant in a securities and investment fraud lawsuit and helped obtain a highly favorable settlement on his behalf.
• Defended an independent physicians association through trial in lawsuit brought by a pharmacy concerning responsibility to pay for injectable medications, resulting in judgment significantly below amounts sought by the pharmacy.
• Prosecuted lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty on behalf of a partner in a construction company against former partner, and helped obtain a very significant monetary settlement.
• Defended counsel to United States Bankruptcy trustee special representative against claims by former-debtor, resulting in dismissal of the case by the bankruptcy court, affirmation of the dismissal by the Federal District Court, and affirmation by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (In re Harris, 590 F.3d 730).
• Represented national bank in action to defend title to property located in San Diego, and obtained a highly favorable settlement resulting in substantial payment to bank from title insurer.
• Defended mortgage brokers against breach of contract and fraud action by a mortgage lender to recoup foreclosed loans, resulting in settlement at mediation for a small fraction of the amount that was sought by the lender.
I formed my law firm in September 2011. Our focus is business and civil litigation on behalf of midmarket businesses and their executives, as well as individuals. Our typical areas of practice include contract cases, partnership disputes; disputes amongst shareholders; executive employment matters, trade secrets, fraud, and injury to business interests. We handle cases throughout Southern California.
I hold an AV Pre-eminent rating from Martindale-Hubbel. From 1996 to 2011, I was an attorney with the law firm Coughlan, Semmer & Lipman LLP in San Diego. There, I worked on complex civil litigation and white-collar criminal matters. My practice focused on the representation of professionals in liability matters. I also handled a variety of business litigation matters, such as contract disputes in state and federal court, embezzlement cases on behalf of both victims and defendants, fraud matters, and partnership disputes, just to name a few examples.
Early in my career at Coughlan, Semmer & Lipman LLP, I participated in the defense of individuals charged with various state and federal white collar crimes. This high-stakes work included handling large scale internal investigations, and sentencing matters.
In addition to my admission before all courts of the state of California, I am admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Central Districts of California, and the Southern District of California, U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
• San Diego County Bar Association (member);
• State Bar of California (admitted in December 1995);
• Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court (Barrister, Alumnus);
• The Hon. J. Clifford Wallace American Inn of Court (Barrister, Alumnus).
• La Jolla YMCA Adventure Guides (member and Circle Chief);
• Board member and past president, San Raphael Homeowners Association, San Diego;
• Board member, Beth El Synagogue, La Jolla.
I was born and raised in the Bay Area. I am from a family of lawyers. I drew my inspiration to enter the practice of law from my grandfather, who practiced law in New York, and my parents, who practiced together for many years as Kaplan & Kaplan in Northern California representing medical professionals.
I moved to San Diego in 1996, and have been practicing law in this community since then. My wife, an architect, was raised in San Diego. We have three children who attend elementary school in Carmel Valley. We enjoy spending time with extended family, supporting our children in their various sports and artistic activities, and camping. I have been an avid mountain biker for many years and enjoy reading about history.