HAWYARD, Calif. (AP) -- A Hayward fire official is crediting a nine-year-old boy with helping to save a disabled man from a burning bedroom.
Hayward Fire Capt. Thor Poulsen told the Oakland Tribune (http://bit.ly/VkhAu7 ) that the man _ who uses a wheelchair _ was alone in the bedroom smoking a cigarette when a fire broke out about 4:30 p.m. Monday.
Poulsen says when a smoke detector went off the boy ran and asked neighbors for help. Two men pulled the disabled man from the room.
Because of the fire and the amount of smoke, Poulsen says the man could have “easily passed away” in the room.
The man was taken to a hospital for treatment of burns to his hands he suffered trying to put out the fire. His name has not been released.
Damage to the contents and structure was estimated to be around $12,000 to $17,000.
Information from: The Oakland Tribune, http://www.oaklandtribune.com