• News
  • General

2-year-old dies after drinking cleaning solution

MERCED, Calif. (AP) -- Merced County officials say a two-year-old boy has died after his grandmother gave him what she thought was a bottle of water to drink, but the bottle actually contained a cleaning solution.

Sheriff's Deputy Tom MacKenzie, a department spokesman, told the Merced Sun-Star (http://bit.ly/14OePrI ) when the boy became thirsty while playing at his grandparents shop Friday afternoon, the grandmother gave him water from a bottle she found on the floorboard of her husband's truck.

When the boy _ identified as Jack Shearer _ started choking, his grandfather realized the boy had ingested a caustic cleaner used to clean aluminum rims.

After the boy's grandfather drove the child to a hospital in Merced, the child was taken to a second hospital in Madera, where he was pronounced dead.

MacKenzie says detectives believe the incident was nothing more than a tragic accident. No charges are expected to be filed.

Information from: Merced Sun-Star, http://www.mercedsun-star.com

User Response
0 UserComments