REDDING, Calif. (AP) -- An evacuation of 25 homes in Northern California continued into its fifth day on Monday after bomb technicians found 40 pounds of explosives last week at a Redding residence.
Lt. Dave Kent, a Shasta County sheriff's spokesman, said evacuations remain in effect for houses within 1,000 feet of the home.
“We consider it a mandatory evacuation, but we're not forcing people to leave,” Kent said.
Roving patrols have been monitoring the area 24 hours a day.
Officials discovered the cache Thursday following an explosion and flash fire at the home of D. Ray East, 63. East blew off his hand and is recovering from his injuries at a local hospital.
He told authorities that his hobby of building model rockets explained the explosives.
Sheriff Tom Bosenko said Saturday that the materials are so dangerous that a light touch could cause them to detonate.
Kent said the sheriff's office is working with other agencies to neutralize the explosives but that there is no estimate for when the situation would be resolved.
“We're not able to go back into the residence due to the volatility of the materials,” Kent said. “It's too dangerous.”
Information from: Record Searchlight, http://redding.com
All contents herein copyright San Diego Source ® 1994-2017