REDDING, Calif. (AP) -- An evacuation of 25 homes in Northern California continued into its seventh day on Wednesday after bomb technicians found 40 pounds of explosives last week at a Redding residence.
Lt. Dave Kent, a Shasta County sheriff's spokesman, said local, state and federal agencies are continuing to combine their efforts to resolve the dangerous situation.
The evacuations remain in effect for houses within 1,000 feet of the home on Chaparral Drive.
Roving patrols have been monitoring the area 24 hours a day.
Officials discovered the cache Feb. 6 following an explosion and flash fire at the home of D. Ray East, 63, whose hand was blown off.
East is recovering from his injuries at a local hospital, the Redding Record Searchlight (http://bit.ly/1eVrZJe ) reported.
He told authorities that his hobby of building model rockets explained the explosives.
Information from: Record Searchlight, http://redding.com