LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) -- The family of a man shot and killed by officers in Long Beach last month has filed an excessive-force claim against the city.
The Press-Telegram reports (http://bit.ly/1g4jrD6 ) the claim filed Thursday seeks damages in excess of $10 million. Dale Galipo, an attorney representing the family of Jason Conoscenti, said he plans to file a lawsuit against the city.
The 36-year-old Conoscenti was killed after leading sheriff's deputies on a car chase that ended in Long Beach. Witnesses said he brandished scissors after allegedly trying to rob a Target store in Compton and struggled with security personnel.
Officers said they saw Conoscenti reach toward his waistband when they opened fire.
Long Beach City Attorney Charles Parkin said he had not yet seen the claim.
Information from: Press-Telegram, http://www.presstelegram.com