Don’t have a Comic-Con badge and want to partake in some of the action this week? Here’s a list of some events open to the public in and around downtown San Diego; many are 21-plus events. Act fast because most are expected to sell out.
These events and more can be found at: sdccblog.com/events/
• Stone Brewing Co. will host Hop-Con 2.0: The w00tstout Festival at its Liberty Station location will run from 7 to 10 p.m. A $59 ticket includes 10 4-ounce beer samples, a commemorative Hop-Con 2.0 glass and complimentary hors d’oeuvres. Designated-driver tickets are available for $25.
• A 3DS Pokémon Tournament for Craft Beer Lovers will be from 6 to 10:30 p.m. at Ballast Point in Little Italy. The event is 21-plus and free with a $3 suggested donation to cover prizes.
• A comedy show and live taping of Doug Benson’s podcast, “Doug Loves Movies,” will be at the House of Blues. Doors will open at 7 p.m. and the show will start at 8. Tickets are $25 to $32.50 and restricted to 21-plus.
• Adventures by the Book will host a happy hour with New York Times bestselling authors Christina Lauren, Alice Clayton and Kresley Cole at the Mosaic Wine Bar. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $35 and include a glass of wine, happy hour appetizers, tax, gratuity, Q&A and a chance to meet the authors.
• A Craft/Art event will be held at the Stone Brewing Tap Room in downtown San Diego from 7 to 10 p.m. and from 10 p.m. to midnight at Rare Form at 793 J Street. The event will feature live sketching by artists featuring comics and entertainment. Attendees may buy original sketches and bid in a silent auction. The event is free and open to the public, with a suggested donation of $5 to $10.
• The How to Train Your Dragon 2 exhibit will be at the Chuck Jones Gallery from 7 to 10 p.m. Artwork from the film will be on display and available for purchase, and artists from the film will be available to discuss and sign their work.
• The San Diego Comic-Con Unofficial Blog’s “Enchantment under the SDCC” reader party will be from 8 to 10 p.m. at Henry’s Pub. There will be giveaways and raffle prizes. The event is 21-plus.
• The American Comedy Co. will host podcast “Kill Tony” with hosts Tony Hinchliffe and Brian Redban. The event will start at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 and the venue is 21-plus.
• The Roddenberry dive teams will host their sixth annual early-morning dive at 7 a.m., followed by a kelp tank dive show at 10 a.m. at the Birch Aquarium. The event is free with aquarium admission.
• As many as 29 divers can join the Roddenberry Adventures team in a visit to La Jolla’s Underwater Ecological Preserve.
• Actor Elijah Wood and friend Zach Cowie will DJ under band name Wooden Wisdom at Bang Bang starting at 9:30 p.m. General admission is free to $15.
• Henry’s Pub will host a costume contest from 9:30 to midnight. The winner will receive $1,000.
• BOOM! Studios will host its eighth anniversary Drink Up at 9 p.m. at the Odysea Bar at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront. The event is free and open to the public.
• Video Games Live returns with a performance at the Embarcadero Marina Park South. The event will combine video game music, synchronized lighting and on-stage game playing. The event starts at 8 p.m. and tickets range from $25 to $90.
• The House of Blues will host The Aquabats’ 20th anniversary tour with Koo Koo Kanga Roo for all ages. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the show will start at 8. Tickets are $18 in advance and $20 on the day of the show.
• Diamond Select Toys has decorated Taste & Thirst downtown with products and artwork and will transform it into the DST Lounge from July 24 through 26. The grand opening and kick-off party will start at 10 p.m. Thursday, with illusionist Nick Ivory performing at 10:45. The lounge will be open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday.
• Toymaker Munky King will host its annual party at Basic Urban Kitchen + Bar from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Artists will battle with black paint markers and white boards for honor, beer and the Versus Title Belt. DJs R Rated and Colbi 1 will provide the music.
• w00tstock will return with version 6.0 and headliners television host and special effects artist Adam Savage; actor, author and blogger Wil Wheaton; and music-comedy duo Paul and Storm. The event will start at 7 p.m. at the Balboa Theater. Tickets are $40.
• A screening of “Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie” will be at 7 p.m. at the Reading Gaslamp Theaters. The screening will be followed by a Q&A with writers and directors James Rolfe and Kevin Finn, and producer Sean Keegan. Tickets are $21.69 and the event is recommended for viewers 17 and older.
• The Los Angeles Times’ Hero Complex will host a rooftop party at “secret headquarters” in the Gaslamp. The stand-by line can be found by looking for Hero Complex signage at the 6th Street entrance to JSix at the Hotel Solamar. Costumes are welcome and all guests must be 21-plus.
• PubQuest will present Super Video Game Land at 6 p.m. at Mission Brewery. The event celebrates “the video games of our past,” including “Zelda,” “Mario,” “Final Fantasy,” “Paper Boy” and others, which will be displayed through the paintings of local San Diego artist Anthony Bulcao. Games and craft beer will be available; art will be displayed and available for purchase.
• The One Plus Hub, an animation networking group, will host the One Plus Hub Beer Bust at The Yard House from 6 to 9 p.m. Animation producers, directors, writers, executives, agents, composers and managers in all media will come together to network, featuring Nickelodeon, Starburns Industries, Technicolor, Summit Talent & Literary Agency, and the One Plus Hub. The event is free.
• The American Comedy Co. will feature Kevin Smith, who will host a special episode of “Jay & Silent Bob Get Old,” along with co-host Jason Mewes. The event will start at 5 p.m. and tickets are $35, which includes a free signed copy of their new book, “Jay & Silent Bob’s Blueprints for Destroying Everything.”
• The “Game of Thrones: Survive the Realm” experience will return to 628 L Street, across from the Omni Hotel. There will be exclusive giveaways to the first 2,000 attendees each day, and it will be open Thursday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.
• Chris Hardwick’s comedy game show @midnight will be at 10:30 p.m. at the Balboa Theater featuring three celebrity contestants trying to delivering the funniest take on the day’s social media happenings. Tickets are $30.
• Fans of toy company Funko can celebrate Funko FunDays at 8 p.m. at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside. Tickets are $70 and include dinner and drinks, and there will be a “Funk Box of Fun” filled with surprises.
• Tested.com will present Incognito: A Celebration of Cosplay with Mythbuster’s Adam Savage at Side Bar from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. There will be drinks, music and cosplay. The event is 21-plus.
• The San Diego Symphony’s “Danny Elfman’s Music From the Films of Tim Burton” will be held at the Embarcadero Marina Park South from 8 to 10 p.m. Tickets range from $25 to $90.
• Actor and comedian Chris Tucker’s The Payback Tour will start at 8 p.m. at the San Diego Civic Theatre. Tickets range from $42.50 to $68.95.
• The fourth annual Comic-Con Nerd-a-thon will be at 8 p.m. Tiny Nightmare Productions will host an evening of burlesque and live music at The Merrow in Hillcrest. Devil’s Playground, an LA-based burlesque troupe, will be performing as the “Star Wars” Storm Trooper and Emperor’s Guard. General admission tickets are $25, and a VIP/Balcony spot with a free cocktail or draft beer is available for $40. The event is 21-plus.
• Ghostbusters fans will host a Mass Hysteria Party at The Werewolf bar a few blocks from the convention center at 7:30 p.m. The event will be free and open to all. There will be a Q&A with Editor Tom Waltz from IDW Publishing and The Ghostbusters comic book series.
• TheOneRing.net will host the Lake-town Luau in celebration of the final film in “The Hobbit” trilogy. The event will be at the Kona Kai Resort and Marina from 7 to 10 p.m., followed by a free concert in the bar. There will be hors d’oeuvres, a costume contest, games and prize giveaways. Tickets are $30 and the event is open to all ages.
• The Walking Dead Escape will be at Petco Park on Friday and Saturday from 6 p.m. to midnight. Tickets are $95 for walkers and $50 for survivors. A $135 VIP package includes the option to run the course twice — first as a survivor and then a walker. It also includes an event T-shirt, access to a VIP-only lounge and exclusive behind-the-scenes access.
• Sony Online Entertainment will host a block party, including a costume contest, game demos, food and a chance to hang out with the SOE team. It will be from noon to 6 p.m. at 8928 Terman Court, San Diego. The event is free and no tickets are required.
• The eighth annual San Diego Zombiewalk will start at 5:15: p.m. in Children’s Park, near the corner of Island Avenue and First Avenue. The event is free for all ages.
• The San Diego Zombiewalk will host its Zombie Prom after-party at the Horton Grand Hotel in the Courtyard and Regal Ballroom from 6 to 10 p.m. The theme will be “A Night on Zombie Island: Prom of the Undead.” General tickets are $35 and VIP tickets are $75.83.
• The San Diego Symphony will perform the “Star Trek” soundtrack during a widescreen showing of the 2009 reboot at the Embarcadero Marina Park South at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $25 to $90.
• Marky Ramone, former Ramones drummer, will host an after-party at the Til-Two Club at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door.
• “Doctor Who” comics creators will be at the Comickaze Comic Store from 7 to 9 p.m. Writer Nick Abadzis, artist Elena Casagrande, cover artist Alice X. Zhang and “Doctor Who” comics editor, Andrew James will be available for a signing and “Doctor Who” quiz.
• The Heroes Brew Craft Beer Festival will be at North Embarcadero Park. For $55, VIPs can attend from 3 to 7 p.m. General admission is $45 from 4 to 7 p.m. There will be more than 40 breweries as well as food trucks, costume contest and live music.
• Say Anything will play at the House of Blues at 5:30 p.m. Tickets range from $23 to $38.
• Nerdist will sponsor Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel-themed Laserpalooza on the top floor of Petco Park from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday through Sunday. Anyone is welcome, but those with SDCC badges will be given priority access.
• Ubisoft will host an “Assassin’s Creed” experience featuring a rope climb, tic tac climb down, degree swing, gauntlet, rolling tube, a 25-foot leap of faith and more. The event will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at the Martin Luther King Jr. Promenade Park.