McCarthy Holdings Inc., which opened an office in San Diego nearly 10 years ago, will hit a milestone this year: The company is marking its 150th anniversary
Founded as a family-owned business in June 1864 during the height of the Civil War, McCarthy is now the country's eighth largest domestic general contractor -- according to Engineering News-Record -- with 2013 revenues exceeding $3 billion.
“When McCarthy began, the focus was on serving customers in the local community and building with the highest quality,” said Michael Bolen, McCarthy chairman and chief executive officer.
Founded by Irish immigrant Timothy McCarthy, the building company began as a lumber business focusing on constructing farmhouses and barns around Ann Arbor, Mich.
Three of the founder's children went into the family business and, in 1907, incorporated the firm in Missouri.
Over the next 50 years, the company completed projects at the World's Fair in San Francisco, in Alaska and in the Panama Canal Zone.
During the 21st century, the company branched out into sustainable, renewable energy and entertainment projects.
Among McCarthy's San Diego projects are The Salk Institute for Biological Studies East Building Addition (1995); $29 million Lodge at Torrey Pines (2002); $260 million Rady Children's Hospital Patient Care Pavilion (2010); $87 million renovation and modernization of Carlsbad High School (2012); $109 million Math+Science Complex at San Diego Mesa College (2013); $39 million J. Craig Venter Institute in La Jolla, Calif. (2013); and $105 million Health Sciences Biomedical Research Facility at the University of California San Diego, (2014).
McCarthy is now working on the $456 million Scripps Cardiovascular Institute and adjacent Central Energy Plant; $34 million San Diego County Administration Center Waterfront Park Development project in downtown San Diego; and the $26.3 million Heart and Vascular Center at Grossmont Hospital.
The joint venture design-build team of Clark/McCarthy completed construction for the new $456 million Naval Hospital at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton in October 2013.