* Escondido's strategic location at the crossroads of Highway 78 and Interstate 15 makes it attractive to businesses of all types.
* Escondido's significant market share is reflected in the city's sales tax revenue, which equates to more than $2.5 billion in taxable sales -- second highest in the county. (The city of San Diego is No. 1.)
* There are 7,316 businesses that comprise Escondido's strong and diverse business base.
* 2,041 (28%) of the 7,316 are home-occupation permits -- people working out of their homes.
* The city routinely draws shoppers regionally from the south and the west with its wide range of auto dealerships, regional shopping center -- Westfield Shoppingtown North County and several strong business areas including Downtown, West Valley Parkway, East Valley Parkway, South Escondido Boulevard and the emerging El Mercado area.
* Escondido has the largest grossing Home Depot store in San Diego County and opened a second store in January 2002.
* The Oceanside to Escondido light rail is scheduled to be completed in 2005.