The following was created by the Apprenticeship Subcommittee of the City of San Diego's Public Works Advisory Committee. It's a list of the "Top 10" reasons why contractors should hire and employ apprentices on their projects. Utilizing apprentices helps advance apprenticeship training and insure perpetuity of the skilled trades.
ABC and Apprenticeship Training Trust staff members have seats on the Public Works Advisory committee and its Apprenticeship Subcommittee, as do other local trade (primarily union) organizations, and representatives from various public agencies.
* Plan for the future -- build a pool of workers capable of taking over key positions.
* Develop a talented work force, expert in their craft and safety procedures.
* Breathe fresh air into your firm and connect with potential new rising stars.
* The best employees for your firm will be trained the way you want.
* Be ahead of the rest with constant exposure to fresh ideas and new technology.
* Tap into an enthusiastic labor group, energized by a strong sense of worth.
* Meet federal and state mandated requirements for outreach to diverse communities.
* Keep your business going during economic ups and downs.
* Feel good about strengthening construction industry traditions by giving back.
* Someone trained you - pass it on! It's an American tradition.