Make easy lifestyle changes
* Look for short breaks each day (approximately 10-30 minutes) to implement heart healthy activities such as walking or other types of enjoyable physical activity.
* Take the Go Red Heart Checkup at www.GoRedForWomen.org to learn your heart disease risk.
* Plan quick and simple healthy meals.
* Know your family heart health history.
Tips for women at work
* Add extra walks to and from the water cooler.
* Take 10-minute walks between meetings.
* Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
* Bring healthy snacks.
* Take time for lunch and eat at regular intervals versus skipping meals.
* Make time for physical activity -- go to the gym and bring your favorite book or office materials to read, or workout at home watching your favorite show.
Tips for moms on the go
* Plan meals in advance -- visit americanheart.org for recipes from a number of heart-healthy cookbooks and use the online grocery list builder to quickly identify heart-healthy products to add to your grocery list.
* Set up "physical activity time" on a daily basis.
* Walk around your neighborhood or in your office.
* Run up and down the stairs.
* Do an exercise video.
* Walk when doing errands and park farther from your destination.
* Take your kids to the park and identify playtime activities that help keep you fit.
* Join a walking group or ask friends to join you in daily walking.
* Work out when your child is at practice or extra curricular activities.
* Exercise while watching your favorite TV show.
Tips for traveling for work/play
* Plan a physical activity routine.
* Airports and malls are great places to get in a brisk walk around the terminal or from one end of the mall to the other.
* Drink plenty of water.
* Take time to stretch while on the flight.
* Exercise in your hotel room -- simple stretches or other exercise like sit-ups and push-ups.
* Take advantage of physical fitness facilities located in the hotel.
* Pack heart-healthy snacks and fruits, and know how to manage your snack triggers.
* Pack sneakers and comfortable clothes for working out.
* For frequent travel, keep an extra pair of tennis shoes already packed in your bag.
Love your heart: relaxation tips
* Keep a journal.
* Reduce stress -- plan a technology-free weekend balanced with active sports, swimming, skiing, horse-back riding or other fun physical activity.
* Celebrate your successes with healthy rewards like a massage or facial.
* Read a book.