Heart disease is still the No. 1 killer of women, taking the life of one in three women each year. This means women just like you -- mothers, sisters, friends -- are dying at the rate of one per minute because they don’t know what you know: heart disease kills.
Heart disease has already touched you or someone you love, so help us save a woman’s life today. Make It Your Mission to fight heart disease in women and stop the No.1 killer. The American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women asks you to bring your network into our network. Tell five women you want them to live, and we can help stop heart disease in our lifetime.
Make It Your Mission to fight heart disease in women. Give five women you care about the power to save their lives at GoRedForWomen.org.
Reasons to believe
Why should I care?
* Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women age 20 and over, killing approximately one woman every minute.
* More women die of heart disease than the next five causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.
* One in three American women die of heart disease, compared to one in 30 women that die of breast cancer.
* Ninety percent of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
What can I do?
* Eighty percent of cardiac events in women may be prevented if they make the right choices for their hearts, involving diet, exercise and abstinence from smoking.
Why should I join?
* Research shows that women who Go Red are more likely to make healthy changes in their lives. For example:
o More than one-third have lost weight.
o Nearly 50 percent have increased their exercise.
o Six out of 10 have changed their diets.
o More than 40 percent have checked their cholesterol levels.
o One-third have talked with their doctors about developing heart health plans.
Tell five and lead by example
* Register for the movement at GoRedForWomen.org.
* Go Red. The American Heart Association asks you to wear your red dress pin proudly to show your support.
* Share your experience. Go to GoRedForWomen.org or visit us on Facebook to share your healthy choices and connect with women who are speaking up for women’s heart health nationwide.
* Take action. Go to GoRedForWomen.org to find your local affiliate. Then contact your local American Heart Association office to see how you can get involved with Go Red For Women.
* Go to GoRedPorTuCorazon.org for information in Spanish and to learn about Go Red efforts in the Hispanic community.
* Make a difference. Donations that fund life-saving research and educational programs are needed so that our daughters, sisters and mothers have a chance to fight the No.1 killer of women.
* Make It Your Mission to fight heart disease in women through donations to the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women cause.
* Make lifestyle choices to reduce your risk for heart disease. Take the Go Red Heart CheckUp to find out your risk.
* Be a BetterU. Go Red BetterU is the free, 12-week online makeover that can change your life. Choose to be a BetterU at GoRedForWomen.org.
* Learn CPR. Because 80 percent of cardiac arrests happen at home, the life you save with CPR is most likely to be a loved one.
* Spread the word. You can Make It Your Mission to fight heart disease in women by joining the American Heart Association’s You’re the Cure grassroots network and advocating for policies to promote women’s heart health.
Go Red For Women, powered by the American Heart Association’s research, educates and connects millions of women of all ages. GoRedForWomen.org is the No. 1 online destination where women can learn how to make heart-healthy choices every day.
Go Red For Women is nationally sponsored by Macy’s and Merck & Co. Inc.