Eight recipients including Irwin and Joan Jacobs have been awarded the 2015 Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy.
Carnegie Corporation of New York made the announcement Tuesday. The award was established in 2001 to honor individuals “who dedicate private wealth to the public good.”
The recipients are:
* Paul Allen, Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist
* Charles Feeney, founder of The Atlantic Philanthropies
* Jeremy and Hanne Grantham, environmental philanthropists
* The Haas family, Pennsylvania philanthropists
* Jon M. Huntsman Sr., a Utah philanthropist and founder of the Huntsman Cancer Institute
* Irwin and Joan Jacobs, San Diego philanthropists; Irwin is co-founder and former chairman of Qualcomm Inc.
* Brothers Robert and Richard Menschel, New York philanthropists
* David Rubenstein, a culture and education philanthropist
The award had been bestowed every two years but will now be awarded annually.
The recipients will be honored Oct. 15.
All contents herein copyright San Diego Source ® 1994-2020