Palomar Medical Center (PMC) in Escondido is the first hospital in San Diego County to be designated an Aetna Institute of Quality Orthopedic Care Facility for total joint replacement.
The designation, which is good for two years, recognizes PMC as a comprehensive orthopedic treatment center that provides high quality, cost-effective outpatient and inpatient care.
"The staff of the orthopedic unit are all top notch, very well qualified and experienced in working effectively as a team to assure that each patient receives quality care," says Thomas Knutson, M.D., orthopedic surgeon.
"The orthopedic continuum of care for joint replacement patients starts before hospitalization with patient education, supports them throughout their surgery and hospital stay, provides personalized home health care as needed and outpatient physical therapy throughout the rehabilitation stage of recovery," adds Dr. Knutson.
The orthopedic program will be carrying the Aetna stamp of approval with it when it relocates this summer to the new Palomar Medical Center in west Escondido. Several other medical services are moving to the new "Hospital of the Future," which is scheduled to open in August.
"The same teams and processes will be in place at the new PMC and you can expect the same great type of orthopedic care to be provided," says Gerald Bracht, Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) at PMC.
The Aetna Institute of Quality designation is based on measures of clinical performance, access and efficiency for orthopedic care.
Hospitals selected have met the following criteria:
* Significant experience in orthopedic care, including annual volumes of at least 200 knee replacement procedures and 100 hip replacement procedures.
* Significant physician experience in orthopedic care with at least one physician performing at least 50 knee replacement procedures, 50 hip replacement procedures.
* Evidenced-based and recognized standards for clinical outcomes, processes of care and patient safety.
* Provide ongoing follow-up programs and support for their orthopedic patients.
* Demonstrate efficiency in providing care based on overall cost of care, readmission rates and comprehensiveness of the program.
Aetna makes information about the quality and cost of health care services available to its members to help them make informed decisions about their health care needs. In line with this goal, Aetna recognizes hospitals and facilities in its network that offer specialized clinical services for certain health conditions.
2185 Citracado Pkwy.
Escondido, CA 92029
Aug. 19, 2012 -- Reporter Carlos Rico visits the new Palomar Medical Center on its first day of operation while patients were being transported from the old hospital to the new facility located on the west end of Escondido.
Oct. 1, 2008 -- Michael Covert, CEO of Palomar Pomerado Health, talked to business students at Cal State San Marcos on Oct. 1.