The 2012 Green Energy Challenge is under way. Eighteen NECA Student Chapters across the country are already at work, getting ready to respond to the 2012 challenge. This year, teams will select a facility on their campus, conduct an energy audit of the building's power and lighting systems, and design and propose a retrofit for both systems.
ELECTRI International's jury -- contractors and industry partners -- will judge each written entry and select three finalist teams to bring to the NECA 2012 Convention in Las Vegas for oral presentations. They are also encouraged to use NECAWORKS - a web-based energy and economic screening tool that will be made available to all students participating in the 2012 Green Energy Challenge.
"The teams learn what it is to work together in real-life, real-time applications," explained ELECTRI President Russ Alessi. "They know that top professionals in our industry will review their ideas and recommendations. Contractors come to the competition finals because they want to have the first shot at meeting the best and brightest students, just about ready to come into the profession."
Student teams from the following universities have registered to compete in the 2012 Green Energy Challenge. (The regular NECA chapter affiliated with each team is also identified.)
* Ball State University (Central Indiana Chapter, NECA)
* Bowling Green State University (Ohio/Michigan Chapter, NECA)
* California State University - Sacramento (Greater Sacramento Chapter, NECA)
* Colorado State University (Rocky Mountain Chapter, NECA)
* Georgia Institute of Technology (Atlanta Chapter, NECA)
* Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago & Cook County Chapter, NECA)
* Iowa State University (Iowa Chapter, NECA)
* Milwaukee School of Engineering (Milwaukee Chapter, NECA)
* Northern Illinois University (Northeastern Illinois Chapter, NECA)
* Oregon State University (Oregon-Columbia Chapter, NECA and Oregon-Pacific-Cascade Chapter, NECA)
* Penn State University (Penn-Del-Jersey Chapter, NECA)
* Purdue University (Central Indiana Chapter, NECA)
* San Diego State University (San Diego County Chapter, NECA)
* Southern Polytechnic University (Atlanta Chapter, NECA)
* University Of Nebraska at Lincoln (Nebraska Chapter, NECA)
* University Of Washington (Puget Sound Chapter, NECA)
* University Of Wisconsin-Madison (Wisconsin Chapter, NECA)
* Youngstown State University (Mahoning Valley Chapter, NECA)