The Daily Transcript is pleased to present a compilation of its coverage of Balboa Park through the years.
In a 6-2 vote, the San Diego City Council on Tuesday rejected a grand jury's findings that it failed to properly guide or oversee a task force in charge of celebrations for the Balboa Park Centennial.
A state appellate court on Thursday cleared the way for San Diego to reshape the roads and parking lots at Balboa Park, overturning a two-year-old ruling that had blocked a redesign proposed by Qualcomm founder Irwin Jacobs and the Plaza de Panama Committee that he headed.
Responding to criticism from Balboa Park support groups, San Diego City Councilman Todd Gloria last week said the city has spent $62 million over the past several years to spruce up the park for the centennial anniversary of 1915's Panama-California Exposition.
It's been almost 100 years since former president Theodore Roosevelt stood on the platform at the brand new Spreckels Organ Pavilion and made what he called "an earnest plea" to San Diego.
Two years after former Mayor Bob Filner unilaterally closed the old parking lot and rerouted the traffic in Balboa Park's Plaza de Panama, Mayor Kevin Faulconer on Wednesday unveiled the newest stage of the plaza's metamorphosis: a $117,000 renovation.
Mayor Kevin Faulconer plans to unveil a revitalized Plaza de Panama at 1 p.m. Wednesday as part of the Panama-California Exposition centennial celebration at Balboa Park that will continue throughout this year.
Visitors to Balboa Park will now be able to climb California Tower for the first time in 80 years, as the San Diego Museum of Man opens the historic landmark New Year’s Day.
The San Diego Museum of Man has received permission from the city of San Diego to go forward with its plans to reopen the historic California Tower to the public on Jan. 1.
The San Diego History Center has announced it is starting its year-long lecture series this month on topics related to the 1915 Panama-California Exposition, as part of its 2015 Centennial Celebration programming.
As part of a scaled-down plan now run by the city, kings, queens and prime ministers won’t be the target audience for the Balboa Park centennial celebration next year.
The CEO of Balboa Park Celebration Inc. will step down to take a position in the private sector, the nonprofit group announced Friday.
With Balboa Park’s centennial less than a year and a half away, planners and producers are busily preparing for an ambitious yearlong celebration intended to draw international attention to San Diego and showcase the city’s offerings.
A big water show will splash into San Diego as one of the Balboa Park Centennial Celebration's events in 2015.
Fifty-thousand dollars in repairs to a nearly 100-year-old pond in Balboa Park are finished, months after hundreds of people trashed it during a midnight water fight.
Though she wasn't there in person, Mayor Maureen O'Connor managed to play a big role in yesterday's three-hour discussion by the Public Facilities and Recreation Committee on the selection of a new tenant for the House of Charm in Balboa Park.
Garnering the recommendation of an eight-member advisory panel and the City Manager's office, the Mingei International Museum of World Folk Art is the early winner in the competition to occupy the House of Charm in Balboa Park.
The beautiful Spreckel's Organ Pavilion restoration is slated to be unveiled Oct. 5. The Committee of 100 will co-host with the city. "The workers were craftsmen, over and beyond what we could have hoped for," said Bobbi Salvini, the city's project officer. Olson Construction was the contractor, George Nolte & Associates the engineer and the Pekarek Group the architect. Work began in January on a project that, at $895,000, will come in on budget, according to Salvini. It's predominantly city-funded. Transient Occupancy Tax funds were the major source.
Since its founding 19 years ago the Committee of 100 has grown into a committee of 1800.
After more than two years of planning, seven of Balboa Park's cultural institutions have approved the first combination ticket ever devised there. The "Passport to Balboa Park" will be offered as of June 1 for $8, allowing patrons to visit up to four of those institutions, depending on which ones they choose.
Balboa Park will celebrate its 117th Birthday July 13 and The Committee of 100 is holding a party in the Organ Pavilion, complete with a 3-by-60-foot cake, entertainment a la a Starlight Showcase and Navy drill units. Festivities start at 10 a.m. and continue to 5 p.m. Free San Diego Transit shuttle buses will run continuously to the park from the County Administration Building parking lots. A master design chef is being flown in from Boston to decorate the cake on site; it will take him about four hours to complete the task, beginning at 10.
Will the City of San Diego proceed with its commitment to reconstruct the Electric Building in Balboa Park, even though the lowest construction bid came in $1.8 million over the architect's estimate?
A sign on a grassy spot along Balboa Park's El Prado tells those walking by that the Electric Building reconstruction is slated for that site.
Many of its columns are cracked and some even have large chunks missing. Some of the finials are gone. Even the wooden benches in the audience are less than inviting.
Though the debris of what was the Electric Building has not yet been cleared away, the city got encouraging news on the effort to rebuild the Aerospace Museum collection.
The operation to restore the California Tower in Balboa Park to good health is successful, and the scaffolding comes down tomorrow.
Construction is wrapping up on the $38 million Cabrillo Bridge Rehabilitation and Retrofit Project. Work started about a year and a half ago to repair and seismically retrofit the 100-year-old structure.